Tuesday, 7 November 2017

Workshop change-around; C17 / Typhoon / Rafale progress

It's been a while since I've posted, but things have been hectic.  I've moved a lot of models around the house in preparation for the new extension being built (work started today!), so now I've moved my benches around, creating a just "work" area and a storage area for the server and models where I used to have a workbench.

"new" workbench from through the room which is now model storage


"old" workbench, unmoved but cleaned up
So all that means is that I now have a lot more clear room to build in, and all my tools can be right next to each other.  Here is the C17 tail, undergoing a trial fit now as I am adding a location tab at the front.


Here's the location tab - two layers of 3mm liteply wood-glued together, and gorilla glued into the tailplane assembly.  This will then fit inside a liteply pocket in the fin.


So whilst all that was drying...the Typhoon fuselage also had some love - I removed all the servos and wiring, and started on sanding down the paintwork.  A couple more hours on the sandpaper and I will risk a light primer coat to see how smooth she is.  I'll be building new elevators and rudder, as well as a new cockpit installation in this one.

Then lastly, the Rafale is nearing the end of it's build.  Here ready for bottom colour..


Bottom colour on!


Cockpit masked ready for primer...


Primer done!


Lot's more to do on all the airframes, but things are so much easier now with the reconfigured work area.