Friday, 16 June 2017

1/6th Scale PSS A10 Thunderbolt II - upgrades and repairs

 In between a few builds at the moment, so I've decided to have a look at the A10 tailplane with a view to replacing it with a lighter, stronger version.  The bottom of the TP had another spanwise crack in it, alongside the original full depth spar, so rather than re-glue it and put up with more damage next landing, it's upgrade time.

Firstly, fin removal.  Ah well, no going back now!

End view of the TP, showing original spar :

Elevators are actually built straight and not too heavy, so I will re-use these : 
Saucy left foot action!
 Other fin off now - this one was a bit more sturdy :

I knew I had the templates somewhere for making the foam core TP, so I got out the collection of foam wing rib templates that I've collected over recent years. A10 TP ones are at the bottom : 

Sandwich up 13 slices of 1/8" balsa, and sand to shape :


I've done two sets as Phil Cooke is re-doing his TP too (was also foam) and whilst I had the template out, I did him a set as well.

I'm at Weston Park model show tomorrow, so I will buy the 3/32" balsa that I seem to be short of for the top and bottom sheeting, plus some carbon tube that will be its spar.