Friday 31 March 2017

Lockheed U2-S PSS - mods and readying

I have given the U2 a good walk-around and checked the fit and finish of all the moving parts, and came up with a few sticking points to sort out, most of which are done now, but here are a few of the more interesting bits.


Here is a view forward from the sing spar / engine access hatch.  The main spar is currently two separate stubs that are bolted to a machined aluminium ring with four Jesus bolts.  This is pretty strong - I've really tried to bend them upwards and nothing as moved, but I am still going to replace them with a single pass-through unit.  Obviously the previous owner was going to keep a fan in here so he needed the maximum airflow through.  I'm not as worried at this stage!

Further up the fuselage is the dual redundancy power switch (with two 2500mAh LiFe cells attached) and the main gear retract, in the down and locked position..

Which brings me to the nose install.  Here I am just getting a feel for the placement of the air tank and air valve before final mounting.  I had better run the airframe over the C of G scales first before mounting this lot solid, but I've just been getting a feel for things so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment