Wednesday, 14 December 2016

C17 Globemaster III build - planking

Lots of planking, filling and sanding has been happening on the C17 forward fuselage section.  Here are some pictures, but they are a bit in reverse order I'm afraid!






The tailplane has had glassfibre tubes added to help guide the fixing bolts down through.  I *might* be changing the elevators, after having a chat with the PSSA guys, I think she might be a little lacking in that department.  I will make a pair of built-up ones if it comes to it.


Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Horus has landed.

My Horus has at last arrived.  I love it!  FrOS seems very capable, and they have a Github area where you can ask for additions or modifications to the software if required, which I've never seen another manufacturer do.  Loads of options for flight modes, and it'll even run an 8 servo wing with ease.  It even has a rotary position switch, which will suit the big quadcopter's changing flight modes.



An amazing amount of telemetry screens which is great for my big scalies, including vario, GPS, airpseed, voltage from up to 14 sources, temperatures, speeds, RPM etc etc.  Should be a bonus for when I get the Pik20 sorted for GPS triangle racing, and also super for the ASK18 when she goes up behind a tug again.

Time for some more programming!

Friday, 2 December 2016

C17 Globemaster III build - tail, odds and sods

Now that I am happy with the final fit of the tail section, it's time to cap off the tailplane.  I added a long strip of 3/16" balsa, and sanded it to shape.  I also went around the tail / vertical interface and filled in any small gaps, as well as boring a hole for the tail-top landing light, as you can see.


The white foam triangle that can be seen on the port wing that the tail is sat on, is a quick repair.  A long time ago when I started  to fit the spar boxes, I managed to push the steel spar clean through the box and mostly out the top of the wing.  Oops!  I cleaned out this blemish and fitted a new bit of foam in with gorilla glue.  This will then be veneered tonight ready for final filling.

In other news, I've got tracking information from T9 for my FrSky Horus today - yessss!  Can't wait to try out this new radio.

Thursday, 1 December 2016

M55 Mystic build progress - plan drawing

I've laid up a quick drawing of the M55, as I need to cut a new wing centre section - it's the only bit missing from my kit of parts, and it actually gives me the freedom to make it quite strong and integrate a few tweaks of my own.

Just over 4.5 metres wingspan :)