Wednesday 1 July 2015

Flying at Beacon Hill, near Newbury

The walk to the top will get your heart pumping, and I wouldn't want to try it with anything bigger than my quarter scalies.

Parking at the bottom is easy - alongside the A34 essentially, or slightly around the bend there is a bigger (and quieter) parking bay.

At the top then, there is a lovely W to SW bowl, which seems quite powerful. Very thermic when I flew so would be nice on those nearly windless days too. Landing out isn't a problem, though requires a hike off to the left then back again if dumping it on the centre face of the bowl.

For N to NE winds there is a very steep, very well shaped bowl, where you fly over some farm buildings right at the bottom. I am definitely coming back for this one - it looks like a lot of fun.

Landing-wise, getting onto the top where it is flatter seems to work well, though I did find a nice little patch on left when looking out on the SW bowl that sufficed as at that point I was standing on the lower path.

I'd give it a 6/10 for the SW bowl - it could be bigger, and the walk will leave you breathless. Would fly again, and looking forward to trying that NE bowl :)



No comments:

Post a Comment